Worship Leading & Songwriting Through a Gospel Lens
6-months | Limited to 13 people
"I'll develop you as a songwriter and leader in worship."
Six Session Overview
Theology, Aesthetics, and the Gospel. In these sessions we’ll take a look at the importance of worship leading and songwriting through the Gospel and Scriptural lenses of beauty and balance. As worship leaders…in our theology and our art, in our preaching and writing…..we are conveying the glories of a God who is simultaneously distant and near, mysterious and clear. There is a “golden mean” we should move toward….for both ourselves and our churches…and His name is Jesus. These 6 sessions will unpack the main things I think about as a worship leader and a worship songwriter.
1. The Weight of worship, or singing and formation, or towards widespread reverence.
In this session we’ll explore the importance and value of music and corporate singing, and it’s psychological, sociological, emotional, and spiritual effects.
2. The Story of worship, or worship as liturgy, or towards theological “balance”.
In this session we’ll consider the liturgical order or rhythm that we see in the gospel, and how this might shape our singing and our worship leading.
3. The Timbre of worship, or worship as a meal, or towards an aesthetic “balance”.
In this session we’ll explore the objectives of art, and how our song choices and production choices are communicating values and beliefs about God and the world we live in.
*Songwriting sessions: In the following sessions we’ll be both exploring additional content but also doing some writing together, implementing the various concepts
4. Songwriting - Poetry and content. How can we create texts for worship that are both transcendent and immanent? Both "bottom shelf”, for everyone, and exalted, for those who have ears to hear?
5. Songwriting - Melody and meter. How can we make music that is both simple and interesting? Music that people can both sing easily and be challenged by?
6. Songwriting - Other considerations such as harmony and production, other practical writing tips, and creating a songwriting culture at your church.
Matt Papa is a songwriter, artist, composer, and author. He has written hymns such as “Come Behold The Wondrous Mystery” and “His Mercy Is More”, which have already been inked in hymnals and translated and sung around the globe.
Matt regularly performs at churches and ministries all across the country, but more than that after years of ministry and touring, he now has a deep passion to mentor next generation of worship pastors and writers. Matt is also a husband and a father to five beautiful children.
Who is this for?
Those in worship and creative ministry teams
What do I get?
What do I invest?
$165/month for 6-months (USD)
Participation on live video calls for at least 5 of 6 months
Engagement in ‘Slack’ online community, sharing questions, ideas, and goals
Read books or articles Matt recommends for the sessions